Wednesday, March 26, 2008

Getting Permanently Inked

So... that is a photo of my "permanent body mutilation" as my brother calls it. I am still so very paranoid I have had a permanent tattoo of the wrong reference and I keep checking in my bible that I have the right number of 'o's in Deuteronomy and that it is in fact 6:5 which says about loving God and not a verse about women being unclean during menstruation. So far, so good.

I have further worries.
Such as what happens if it rubs off. Apparently the next 6 weeks are paramount to ensure it stays put and i'm not allowed to soak it in water for those weeks. Kind of a problem then that it was a baptism present and soaking in a big tub of water is exactly what I will be doing on sunday morning. Let's hope my spiritual cleansing doesn't become a tattoo cleansing as well.
Also worried... what if I get fat? Or get thin? Or have babies? Or in fact, just stretch too far (very disconcerting when the tattooist says: "dont tense your stomach muscles". Am I going to end up having deeeuuuttteerrroooonnnooommmooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo across my stomach or is it going to become a blob of black ink? Oh dear...

So I have deffo planned my next one... my next ones gonna be a secret one :P

Anyway... so I got it done in a nice place and watched as if my life depended on it, the moment that the needle was extracted from the packaging, just to, you know, make sure. Then I lay down and started watching the CCTV camera as if it were the best ever hollyoaks episode and listened with severe intent to the radio show. Then the buzzing began *cue jaws music* and i waited for the pain. but it was actually ok. i know everyone makes such a big deal about it hurting like hell but it was kind of a sharp tickle. no worse than epilating. in fact i'd say less painful!
So it was fine, ignore anyone who says it hurts, unless theyve got one in which case they are just wimpy... although when the 'D' was being done it was rather uncomfortable as it went over the bone but it was otherwise fine.

But on a serious note, for me it is about the meaning of the tattoo. the verse is:

Deuteronomy 6:5 (New International Version)
Love the LORD your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your strength.

And it is my way of saying I will love God forever, permanently and it echoes my baptism on sunday when I say the same thing by being dunked in a big pot of water...

forget circumcision, it's all about the tattoos

and for the record i got it done at eve's tattoo parlour in marlow.

now... how do i break it to my dad?

2 comments:

jody said...

this is sooooo cool that you have a blog! is mine full of intellectual content? well I suppose some of it is a bit - surely that was what all the money I paid for college training if for!? ;-)

x jody

Brooke said...

The secret tattoo should blatantly be "BROOKE WOZ ERE" in my handwriting. Right across your forehead.

Although then I guess it wouldn't be a secret... Doh.

Looks great! =)

xx