Friday, October 23, 2009

there's a point concealed in here somewhere

"In my Father's house are many rooms... I am going there to prepare a place for you" ~ Jesus

Rollercoasters, chocolate, back to back viewing of Smallville, kissing in the rain, shopping at Liverpool One, nights in front of the fireplace, the Xfactor final etc etc... all very fun in their own right but none of these give me even a fraction of the kicks I get out of walks, cycles and drives with no destination. There's something about putting one foot in front of the other and simply following my nose which captures my imagination and sense of adventure and to walk aimlessly with no knowing what is around the corner is what, for me and my sheltered past experience of the world, is the epitome of adventure.
I love the thrill of walking through woods; discovering water, the eerie rustling of the trees and unwalked paths.
I love the fear of solitary nightwalks; invisible to the world, silent lanes and views of the city lights.
I love the excitement of getting lost; turning down roads with no knowing where they lead, walking in a straight line hoping to have walked a circle and looking for any sign that points to a familiar place.
I love how a mile turns to 10, how for every uphill hike there's a downhill trot and how nobody knows where I am or where I'm headed, including me.
I love my ipod playing in my ear, a piece of unwritten writing forming in my head and how by the end of the walk the solutions to all life's problems seem so much clearer.
I've seen so many intriguing things on walks such as these. Tonight alone I had the excitement of a fox, a fight and a road called Carsick Hill Road.

The thing is though, no matter how aimless I intend the journey to be, there is always an end destination- home. It never really is a journey with no destination.  Despite all the excitement, when my legs start to ache so much I can barely take another step, when I'm so desperate for some refreshment, and when it's all getting a little dark and scary, I just want to end up back at that safe place that's home.
And I realise how much those walks are like life- it's exciting, I experience so many unexpected things, I never know what's around the corner, at times I'm wandering aimlessly and a lot of it is spent off track but when it starts to get a bit tiring and frightening, I remember that I am always heading to the end destination- home.


No comments: